Monday, October 6, 2014

Remember the Persecuted Church

A man I know shared his story with me tonight.  This man...

We talked about the persecuted church - the World Watch List - and how it can be a hot interest.

I feel like I have nothing to say when it comes to hearing their stories.  Jesus, thanks for this gift.

He shared with me how his school persecuted him in high school.  If he went to a protestant church, he could not attend school.  School or Jesus was his choice.

The police nearly arrested him and the only reason they didn't keep him was because they didn't have room.  They called their parents - over 50 of them - to come get them instead.

He's been hit with stones for Jesus and dodged more than what hit him.

In Debre Zeyit, persecution currently does not exist to the extent it once did in his time of the 1960s.

In the northern parts of Ethiopia today, where bibles are needed, you will be kicked and threatened with death if not die, he told me.  But here in Debre Zeyit right now, you will be safe.

His father was clever, he said.  "You are under my control," he told him.  He went to school and came to Christ later. 

Hearing him speak of these things of the persecuted church gave me chills at times.  It's just so evil.  And, did I mention we had this talk over candlelight as the power went out lol?

I think of His cross.

If he didn't finish school, he would be a farmer unable to better himself, he said.

I asked him if he had told his father no, would he have lost his family - would things be different, what would happen?

He said you respected your parents and were not indirect so you did what they said or you were beaten as well.

In the 1960s, years before I was born, to be here and be a Christian perhaps meant death and the church was more underground.  It does not mean that sometimes you may be looked at with hate now, but the chances of you being stoned or in prison here are lower than it used to be. 

Remember the persecuted church.  Remember the ones who have died for Jesus.  Remember Jesus.  Remember Jesus, remember Him, and proclaim it loud.  Shout it, from the mountaintops, for God's glory. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment