Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Princess Penelope from Pontagoon comes to visit

This child of God is worn out as she types this but I wouldn't have it any other way!

We had a special visitor at the Sunday School at Meserete Kristos Church this weekend. The kids love it when they have visitors! Introducing Princess Penelope from Pontagoon!
 

 
P came to talk to the kids about her Christian faith and the Armor of God as read about in Ephesians 6:10-18. The shield of faith that she made is quite impressive as she was so tired from her travels and in a somewhat quiet, relaxed and uh, very chill state. Praise God she was feeling more like herself today for the kids' lesson! She was so quiet upon arrival that she spooked one of our own, Eshetu, as she was just sitting there in the living room (where she is now) late at night. (Obviously, the latest airport run had slipped his mind).


P took the stage with boldness as kids of all ages filled the room. She did however fall asleep on stage and was even snoring as the kids were coming in finding their seats. After they were seated, the talk began. Did you miss it? Chicorellum. (No problem). I took very good notes:


Princess Penelope (from Pontagoon) (C) 2014
Hello boys and girls. My name is Princess Penelope. You may call me P for short.

Whew! This heat is doing crazy things to my hair!

Soon I'll be [sing it]

Afro, afro girl! Crazy girl with the afro!

Yes. In Jesus' name.

So, I've traveled a very far distance from my home in Pontagoon to visit you today.

You see, I believe in God. The Father. The Great I AM. The Prince of Peace. Jehovah Jireh. Jehovah Raffah. The Holy One. Yes, Him.

Do you know Him? Do you believe in God, too?

I hope you do. Princess P wants you to.

You see, boys and girls, without faith there is nothing.

Without my faith, I don't know how to go on.

Sure, I have palaces, a prince who loves me, and guards to protect me. I have dolls with their own closets full of clothes - but not an ounze of my hope comes from any of these things.

My hope comes from my faith in God.

Once you know that He's your everything, you see, we have an enemy. An enemy who wants to kill us, steal from us, and destroy us. His name is Satan.

Do you know him? Seen him?

What I know of him is he is no good boys and girls and the bible - that's the good book - tells us to flee from him.

We are soldiers in war against him - that is, if you believe.

In Ephesians 6 verses 10-18, we are told about the Armor of God.

Who knows what pieces of armor you need?

1. Belt of Truth

2. Breastplate of righteousness

3. Feet fitted with the gospel of peace

4. Shield of Faith

5. Helmet of Salvation

6. Sword of the Spirit - Word of God

7. Prayer

So, who came to church today fully dressed in their armor?

We want to be fully clothed in Christ. [Penelope holds her shield.]

Faith is the beginning. Faith is the foundation and with our shield of faith, we protect ourselves from the enemy.

My friend Jamie - you know her - is going to come back and she is going to help you with your shields of faith.

Whew! This heat! [sing it]

Afro, afro girl! With a sheild of faith!

[End Scene]

After the teaching was over and Princess Penelope had been taken back to the airport, in what was possibly the quickest airport run of all time, I came back we talked a little more about what we learned about our armor and we began handing out materials for our craft: making shields of faith.

For the most part, the kids were well behaved, sitting patiently waiting their turn for help with their pipe cleaner handles and placement of stickers.
 
 


Towards the end of our time together, they showed me their shields. Some pretty cool shields of faith were leaving the room as we finished up. I asked the kids to help us keep the room clean and give the adults in the room their trash and a few did but most didn't and when they had gone outside, it looked like we threw a real party as the white backs of stickers were all over the floor. But, a selection of kids came back inside to help with clean up.


Ciao for now, Princess P! We are wielding our shields of faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment